Hospitality 1 Final Exam Review
1. When you are cutting vegetables with a chefs knife you put your hand that holds the vegetable in place in a special hold, this hold is called? Why do we do this?
2. What is the "stabilization cut"?
3. What is the most common cause of food borne illness?
4. Why do we use hairnets in the kitchen?
5. What are the food danger temperature zones?
6. In what part of a stove do you bake?
7. What part of the stove is the best for sautéing?
8. List four types of cooking pans and what they are used for;
9. What is the purpose of preheating the oven?
11. What is the difference between shredding and zesting?
12. What knife do we use to peel an apple?
13. Why do you knead yeast bread dough?
14. What is a “pinch” in a recipe referring to?
15. How do you carry a knife across a kitchen?
16. When do you have to wear gloves in the kitchen?
17. What is a CSA?
18. What measuring tool do you use to measure milk?
19. What measuring tool do you use to measure flour?
20. What is flatware?
21. What is the difference between mixing bowls and serving bowls?
22. What is an easy way to prevent heart disease?
23. What is the difference between grass fed beef and beef raised in a CAFO?
24. What is a CAFO?
25. What are battle cages?
26. What is the difference between free range and cage free chickens?
27. Name three spices; what foods are they most commonly used with?
28. Name three herbs; what foods are they commonly used with?
29. How does the color of an eggshell affect its nutritional value?
30. Is it possible to get all of your nutrients through a plant based diet?
31. What is the worst carbon producer of our food system?
32. Is water in danger? Explain?
33. What is desalinization?
34. How can changing your diet change your health?
35. What foods are associated with cancer growth according to the book The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell PHD, and Thomas M. Campbell ll MD
36. Define the following:
37. According to Jamie Oliver what is the biggest problem children face in America today?
38. Who is Dr. Esselstyn? What does he advocate?
39. What are the benefits of a plant based diet?
40. What is a GMO?
41. How much food do Americans throw away?
42. How do you ensure that your employees are being responsible about their personal hygiene in the kitchen?
43. What is the danger zone for bacterial growth?
44. How long is it safe to leave foods out of the refrigerator?
45. What should you do to a cutting board after you have used it to cut raw meat?
46. What is an inexpensive, effective disinfectant?
47. What are the safest methods of extinguishing a fire in a skillet on the stove?
48. Define: cross-contamination
49. Explain the proper order of dishwashing.
50. Why should you wear closed-toe shoes in the kitchen lab?
51. Why is it important to clean and disinfect all kitchen work surfaces after cooking?
52. What are three kitchen safety rules and why are they important?
53. Explain the difference between dry and liquid measuring cups.
54. What would you use the following for?
55. How do you clean a flour sifter?
56. Why should you never use metal utensils in a non-stick pan?
57. Why should wet oven mitts never be used?
58. How many teaspoons are in a tablespoon?
59. How many tablespoons are in a cup?
60. How many fluid ounces are in a cup?
61. How many cups are in a stick of butter?
62. How do you measure a pinch of a spice?
63. What is the difference between baking and broiling?
64. Define "saute."
65. Define "yield."
66. Define "recipe."
67. Define what the term “substitution” means in a recipe.
68. Define "preheat."
69. What are the main categories within a recipe?
70. Why should you not eat raw cookie dough?
71. Why is it important to place baked cookies on a wire rack to cool?
72. What are cookie sheets lined with so that the cookies do not stick to the pan?
73. What is industrial farming?
74. What are the problems with Industrial farming?
75. What kind of diet can produce the most food?
76. How does our daily consumption of food and the choices we make concerning them impact the environment?
77. What is convective cooking? Example
78. What is conductive cooking? Example
79. What is the recipe for a basic béchamel sauce?
80. What are the basic three vegetables used when making a brown sauce?
Pick one of the 10 Lexicon of Sustainability videos and write a three paragraph essay. Use the format we used in class.
What is the film about?
What you learned?